Blogger tips for beginning work with a brand on a blogging assignment
If you have been selected to work with a brand on a recent blogging assignment, here are a few tips to ensure the relationship goes smoothly…
- Be clear on what you promised to deliver in your blogging assignment pitch
- Make sure you have a good understanding of what the brand requires you to do, preferably in writing, before you begin work
- Have a clear understanding of the compensation being offered, if any, and if you’re unsure, seek clarification from the brand
- If part of the arrangement requires you to have a product on loan, be clear on when it needs to be returned, and via which postage method. Be clear on whether you will be compensated for any postage costs.
- Send the brand any T&Cs you might have, including payment T&Cs if applicable. Do this before you commence working with a brand. Make sure the brand agrees with your T&Cs before moving forward.
- Make sure your reviews are fair and balanced. If after reviewing a product you find you are extremely dissatisfied with it, discuss your feedback with the brand and give them the right to reply, before publishing a scathing review.
- Be impartial. If you have any affiliation with the brand or its competitors (for example, you write content for a competing brand), make sure you disclose that relationship at the start.
- Keep to the agreed timeframes. If the brand has set a publishing deadline, do you best to meet it, and let them know if it is unrealistic or if you are going to be late.
- If the assignment involves the travel to an event, be clear in advance if your expenses will be reimbursed.
- If you cannot agree on the way forward, be polite, thank the brand and walk away.
- Check out our advice on ethical blogging for the UK and US.