Community blog post
Based on a classic recipe, this red velvet cake with cream cheese icing is super duper delicious. I realise you might be planning that summer holiday, and the summer bod to go with – but life is too short to not treat yourself with a tasty treat… So go on! Bake!
For The Cake
- 120g Butter
- 300g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 50g Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Red food colouring
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 300g Plain white flour
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 240ml Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp White wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
For The Icing
- 275g Butter, very soft
- 400g Full-fat cream cheese (we used Philadelphia) at room temperature
- 475g Icing sugar, sifted
Preheat oven to 180C/350F (all oven types). Butter 2 x 7″ round cake pans (sides and base) and dust with cocoa powder.
- Sift the Dry Ingredients and whisk to combine in a bowl.
- Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with electric beater or in stand mixer until smooth and well combined.
One a time, add the eggs and mix in between until well combine. Note: It may look curdle but hang in there for a couple of minutes, and it will soon become smooth.
Add the vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla, buttermilk and red food colouring and beat until combined and smooth.
- Add Dry Ingredients (Beat until just combined – some small lumps is OK).
Divide batter between cake pans. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes on the same shelf, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Rest for 10 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool.
Beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla for 3 minutes (this makes it really smooth and changes from yellow to almost white). Add icing sugar and beat for 2 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy to your taste. If your icing seems too runny (depends on quality of cream cheese/ if the cream cheese was too soft), just add more icing sugar.
Icing The Cake
- Cut the top off the cake using a serrated knife (to make the layers neat).
- Spread one cake with 1 1/2 cups of icing, Top with the other cake. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Decorate with your choosing 🙂