Toddler approved spaghetti Bolognese with an Autumn/Halloween twist.
I recently shared a post to my Instagram about a meal that I had prepared Shaniah and it was a major hit with parents who wanted to give it a try. I thought that instead of waiting for my weekly ‘Food Friday’ I would simply create an extra recipe this week… It is super cute after all!
I am always thinking of ways to make meal times fun for my little one who is both fussy and someone who finds sitting down eating extremely boring.
With October just a stones throw away and Halloween not far off either I thought that I could try to incorporate this into our meals in some way. That was when I came up with the idea of doing Spaghetti Bolognese with a twist.
Shaniah isn’t one of those kids that love every vegetable going, in fact I don’t think she likes any except cucumber, she loves fruit but it upsets her stomach so sorry kid you’ve got to eat veggies if you like them or not!
I sat there one evening meal planning for the up coming weeks when the child within me had a brain wave. Spaghetti inside a pumpkin! Now I was aware that it was simply impossible to serve everyone their spaghetti Bolognese in a pumpkin so I had to go back to the drawing board (literally) on that one…
Go on I will let you laugh!
I showed both my other half and mum my quite frankly dragons den worthy idea and all they did was laugh – Thanks guys! Looking back on it however, it is seriously hideous! If you haven’t guessed already by my Van Gogh style drawing it is in fact a Bell Pepper.
Instead of using Pumpkins I decided that for the little one I would use an Orange Bell pepper and simply carve a face in to it.
It turned out better than I had expected and little one ate it all up INCLUDING THE PEPPER! I bet you can just imagine the extreme winning feeling that overcame me when she was finished? Every mothers dream!
Looking at it I believe that you could do this recipe in a real pumpkin for a Halloween dinner date centrepiece who needs big pans?!
Here is the recipe:
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- Cut the top off of the peppers and remove any of the white membrane and seeds from inside, carefully cut a smiley face into the side of the pepper using a knife – I did 3 triangles ( eyes and nose) and a slit for the mouth.
- Rub the Pepper with a little oil inside and out and roast for around 10 minutes or until the pepper begins to soften. Once cooked, leave it to cool.
- Put the onion and oil in a large pan and fry over a high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the Garlic and Mince and fry until they both brown.
- Add mushrooms and herbs and leave to cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beef stock, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and leave to cook whilst you do the spaghetti remember to stir occasionally though.
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling, slightly salted water according to the packet instructions. Drain well, run cold water through it.
- Your Sauce should be ready now so its time to dish it up! Place the spaghetti in the pepper if it starts to poke through the mouth and nose don’t worry, add the sauce and then place the top of the pepper back on. Serve on it’s own or with a slice of garlic bread.
- Watch your child/ren munch their way through it laughing at the sight and hopefully eat the pepper too!
If you choose to do this I would love to know what your little ones thought of it and also if you manage to take a pic I would love to see them – use the hashtag #SpookyBolognese on Instagram.